Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Real Simple Dinner

I tell everyone who cares to listen, you don't have to be a culinary genius to make yourself a home-cooked meal. I for one, am not a culinary genius of any kind. In fact a few weeks ago, while making dinner for two, I cut two fingers (I'll spare you the images). Despite these setbacks, I thought dinner turned out pretty darn delicious.

My approach to cooking is fairly straightforward. I usually cook things I ate growing up, because otherwise something tastes "off" to me. Luckily for me, veggies, grains, fish, chicken, lamb were all a part of my mother's repertoire, and cookies were not.

I also tend to cook meals that are simple, quick to create and somewhat healthy. The last element of my approach is to refine a dish and then make variations of it. Today, SALMON!

Salmon is super easy to make. I purchase the wild-caught, frozen salmon filet from Trader Joe's.

  • Defrost over night in the fridge and then lay it on a cookie sheet or baking dish lined with foil.
  • Drizzle EVOO & sprinkle salt, pepper and one other spice (dried chives today, paprika on other days).
  • Stick it in the oven for about ten minutes+.
  • You'll know it's ready by looking at it or you can always cut in half and take a small bite. The salmon should flake and should be absolutely delicious.
  • Tonight I switched it up by using an idea from a recipe from my Real Simple magazine. The recipe called for basting the fish in the last two minutes in two tbsp brown sugar and one tbsp soy sauce (which I mixed, prior to basting).

This was quite yummy!

I also like to add some sort of grain or starch to every meal (pasta, bread, rice, buckwheat, quinoa...etc). Today it was potatoes.

  • I cubed the potatoes
  • Sliced an onion
  • Cut up some white mushrooms
  • Fried it on high for a couple of minutes until it browned and then put it on low to finish the cooking process.
I like to use EVOO for this with a bit of butter. If you want to make it healthier toss it in the oven with EVOO so nothing burns.

And of course, no meal is complete without a veggie. I didn't have enough veggies (or energy) for a salad so I cut up a tomato and an orange pepper.

If I can do it, so can you :). Good luck to you and Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment