Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Ants Will Not Go Marching One By One - Hurrah!

The reality of some of the beautiful houses in Chicago is that they are home to more than you, but also ants and spiders. They might be living in the perfect eco-habitat, but the problem is the perfect habitat will at times be your house when the Chicago weather acts up.

I faced our minor pest-problem head on and YouTubed it per the advice of my bug-killing consultant, Igor Kogan.

All the videos said "make sure your house is clean and then hire [insert name of guy doing the video]." Thanks Bob from Utah, but that's not much help.

So I went to my local Home Depot where the friendliest sales person hooked me up with the pest control trifecta: bug-barrier spray (they also offered a more eco-friendly option for people with dogs and kids, but I wasn't messing here), wood-colored caulk to seal any holes and the caulk gun. Awesome.

Igor lovingly let the spiders out of the house and then sprayed various areas of the window sill. I then cut off the top of the caulk with the caulk gun and sealed the gaps in the window that might have been causing the problem.

So far, no pests and I couldn't be more proud that we solved the problem without calling parents or pest control ($$$). Hurrah!

I'll admit the caulking job isn't perfect, but it's certainly good enough and way better than pests.

No comments:

Post a Comment